Phraya Nakhon Cave
Tham Phraya Nakhon Cave can be reached on foot from Laem Sala beach inside the park. The rather steep and rocky ascent up the side of the mountain (about 430 meters long) provides spectacular sea views and takes about 30 minutes.
Tham Phraya Nakhon is actually two sinkholes whose roof has fallen in, letting in sunlight. In the middle of the cave is a Thai-style pavilion built for a visit by King Rama V in 1896. The cave was named for Phraya Nakhon, ruler of the city-state of Nakhon Si Thammarat, who inadvertently discovered it over 200 years ago when a gale forced his ship ashore.
How to get there
Phraya Nakhon Cave can be reached from Laem Sala Beach, by a steep rocky trail, 430 m. long and rising to a height of 130m., taking about 30 minute to climb. Caution should be used and proper footwear worn as the rock is sharp and can be slippery.